English Lessons: Full PDF
The Breast Cancer: Detection, Prevention, and Treatment lessons develop adult English language learners’ knowledge related to breast cancer and their English language communication skills specific to this and other health topics; all through activities that include listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
It is true that women are much more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer than men. However, this disease impacts friends and family members of those at risk for or diagnosed with breast cancer. These lessons are appropriate for use with men and women alike.
- Prevention (PDF)
- Symptoms (PDF)
- Segment 4, Parts 1 and 2: Breast Cancer is Silent
- Traditional Medicine (PDF)
- Segment 3: Doctors Talk About Traditional Medicine
- Detection (PDF)
- Segment 2: Excuse me, Doctor, can you please use different words?
- Barriers (PDF)
- Segment 1: Why Some People Do Not Go to the Doctor
Resource materials for use with the lessons:
- Picture Story 2 from the Center for Applied Linguistics
- Minnesota Literacy Council's Volunteer Curriculum
- Selected chapters from "Staying Healthy: An English Learners Guide to Health Care and Healthy Living"
- View the entire "Staying Healthy" curriculum developed by the Florida Literacy Coalition here.